Hurricane Hacks - How to Prepare
Most of North Carolinian's remember when Hurricane Hugo hit the Charlotte area in 1989. Hurricane Florence is following a very similar path to Hugo so we all need to be prepared for the worse scenario. Here are some helpful tips and hacks when preparing for impact:
- Fill up your gas tanks TODAY! Do not wait until the day of or day before impact. Don't forget to fill up your gas can for your generator too.
- Charge all devices the night before.
- Fill up bathtubs with water in case of a power outage, that way you can still flush toilets.
- Make sure you have plenty of bottle water. One person needs at least 1/2 gallon per day.
- Keep a cooler on hand to keep food and medications cold in case of a power outage.
- Keep important documents and photo albums in the dishwasher. Dishwashers are made to keep water in and they will also keep water out.
- Purchase paper plates, silverware and paper towels. They will help save on your water usage.
- Review your insurance policies or call your agent to understand what is and isn't covered in the event of a storm.
Below is a forecast of when and where Florence is expected to hit from
The National Hurricane Center.
Please contact us at 704-821-0422 if you have any questions on how a hurricane is covered under your insurance policies.